Sunday, August 23, 2009

It begins...

After more than a year of a sedentary lifestyle that bordered on pathetic, and more than 4 months of therapy with the focus on, among other things, my weight and why I can't get off my ass to do something about it, I finally shook something loose in my motivation cache. I am ready... oh soooo ready.... to get back in shape.

On vacation this past week I went running twice and biking once. More activity in a week than I had undertaken in months. AND I came back home still motivated. As I was running around the pond this random idea occured to me- 10^3, or ten cubed. I want to be a size 10, and run a 10K in the 10th month (Even though I realized later that it is technically the 12th month, I had December in my head... "DEC" means 10 right?) My plan is to find a place that's nice and warm in December, perfect for a race, and buy a plane ticket there. My pride will not let me wimp out on a race that I paid several hundred dollars to run.

So I'm doing it. I'm kind of hoping training for the race will eclipse the annoyance of attempting to moderate my eating habits. Not totally sure yet whether or not to weigh myself on a regular basis. Slightly too neurotic for me. I'd rather just watch my sizes. I'm currently a size 14 and I can't remember ever having been a size 10... I think I skipped from kids sizes directly to plus sizes. But I'm certain that I can do it. If I don't go down a size in a month I will probably reevaluate this tactic.

I will use this blog to record what I eat, my training, and how I'm doing.

Today I popped on the ipod and ran down to the pond, ran / walked around the pond, and walked back. I felt FANTASTIC after my run / walk.

So far today I've consumed an iced coffee with skim milk, veggie burger on two slices of whole wheat toast, and reheated chicken & veggie sautee with romano cheese. Its weird and hard to be alone in my house all day with few options for things to do, and of them, eating being a constant temptation. On the plus side being relatively broke at present moment I can and will limit my grocery shopping to healthy necessities. The hardest things for me are a) portion control and b) eating out... again being broke should help minimize the latter for the time being. As for portion control, I will have to experiment a bit. I will start by making sure to eat six small meals a day, upping the fiber and nutrient content of what I eat, and drinking more water (sometimes when you think you're hungry, you're really thirsty, right?)

Thinking of buying a bike. I've had this irrational fear of bike riding for several years now, perhaps because of the crazy Boston drivers and shit that I've heard happens to bikers who get in their way. But I rented a bike on vacation and it was great. My plan is to wait until I catch up on my bills to make the purchase. Oh, and after I buy my plane ticket to the sunny and warm location of a 10K race in December!

No comments:

Post a Comment